Monday, April 27, 2015

Fishin'

 I have this theory (which is backed by at least 4 years of highly scientific research on my part) that if you want to teach a little girl to hate fishing then take her a few times when the fish aren't biting and she will never want to go again. That's basically what was happening with Reese. I had told Adam to do what my daddy did when I was little. Throw some fish food out and either scoop them up with a net, or give her that princess fishing pole and watch that little face light up.

So we went to Adam's cousin's Kim and Jimmy's (or sometimes if I say it too fast it comes out Kimmy and Jim) Sunday afternoon. This was all after we had gotten home from church and Adam had literally laid Reese over his lap and whipped her rear end for not being quiet in church. He had laid down the law discussed with her all the way home what was going to happen. She had a 20 minute meltdown and was good to go after that. I'd be willing to bet she straightens up next Sunday.

She forgot she was mad at him here... 

Reese took Big Daddy's fishing pole and declared, "Big Daddy don't know how to fish." And she must have been right because about 30 seconds later she reeled in a fish.
Elynn took claim to Reese's princess pole and screamed when we tried to touch it.(Later on last night she was standing on the arm of the couch, slipped, and her little cheek caught the end table. I gasped in horror and almost let out an expletive because people, I am not who you want with you in a moment of crisis.Her face was blue this morning, but not nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be.)

She watched her daddy kneel down like this to fish and she "repeated" him as Reese says.

Neither one of them wanted any part of touching the fish. They are their mother's children. Reese also did a little squealing when we dug up worms in the yard. I told her she had it made because when I was a wee lad we had to dig under cow patties for worms to fish with.
Elynn caught her very own fish. I'm not making that up either. She was holding her little pole with her bobber on it, and when it went under Adam stepped in and helped her before it took the pole and her in the water.

Adam and Big Daddy could see this "huge" fish swimming around. They were guessing how big it was. One minute it was 4 pounds. The next it was 5 pounds. All along I was thinking to myself that it was probably 3 pounds...at best. We all know how men and their opinions of the size of fish are..... 10 years later when the fish finally took the bait it was an impressive 5lbs 13oz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment