Monday, April 15, 2013

Easter 2013

When I was little Easter meant one thing: my momma dragging me around to every store in the Oxford, Anniston, Gasden area searching high and low for a dress we could both agree on. If memory serves me, a brawl almost broke out in the Kids Depot dressing room one year. Looking back on it all, I know exactly why there was such pandemonium: she waited until the DAY BEFORE Easter, people. In recent history have you tried to go shopping on the day before Easter? It will cause you to forget all manner of Eastery thoughts and start looking for a cigarette and a stiff drink. I laugh now, but my day is coming. (Much to my mother's delight.) But for now I get to call all the shots, and in an effort to save my sanity I ordered Reese's Easter dress online back in February.

We went to Sunrise Service at Big Daddy and D.D.'s. Just for funzies let's look back at her previous Easter mornings.

2011- she was bright eyed because that was back when she still got up ridiculously early to drink her bottle.






















2012- We finally had her trained to sleep late, and she couldn't get her eyes to open. And, oh my heart, she still had her paci....and it was upside down.
















2013- Her hair, oh her hair. There is nothing that can be done with it. Frizzy mess all the time.






















Let's back up to Wednesday which was the first day of our so called spring break. Reese whispered in my ear at 6:30 am, "read me a book." We got up and read books, colored, and dressed up her dolls. At 9:30 she said, "I need sompin' to do." To which I suggested that we rest, take a nap, or watch a little of the Today show. Those options didn't seem to interest her. About that same time Allison sent me a text wanting to know if we wanted to go to town. Yes. Yes, ma'am we sure do because it is 9:30 in the morning and my 2.5 year old is bored.























Thursday, after she played kitchen with MeeMaw, we loaded up and went to Guntersville where Adam, Big Daddy, and Uncle G. fished all day Friday and part of Saturday. D.D. and I had the task of entertaining her.





















My pictures uploaded all out of order. This was Wednesday night when Reese brought all of her toys to Adam to hold, and insisted he wear her bonnet.





















So Friday we stopped for a Snow Biz. She ate every single bite and drank the juice.





















She helped drive the boat.






















And she wet a line. There was a fish shaped hook on the line (I have not idea what the correct fishing terminology is to use here. I'm sure Adam is dying of shame as he reads this.) Anyway, when she reeled in the line she said, "I caught a fish!" Bless her. She thought it was real.  And I hate to be the one who says this, but that was one fish more than her daddy caught...





















P.S. A lure. It's called a lure. It just hit me, and I can't believe I couldn't think of what it was called. Somebody please revive Adam and tell him there is still hope for his wife.


We came home from Guntersville Saturday. I did my best to put aside my OCD tendencies while she colored eggs. (She is eating cheese curls in these pictures and I just noticed there is a box of Nutty Bars in the background. It goes without saying that we are a health conscious bunch.)






















The Easter bunny came at a bright and early 5:30 at our house. And we were STILL late to sunrise service.





































The Easter bunny brought a doctor kit for Reese at Big Daddy and D.D.'s house. Uncle G. had to get a shot.






















Then we headed back home before going to MeeMaw and PeePaw's where the much anticipated turkey and dressing was waiting. By nothing less than an act of God she took a 3 hour nap when we got home. I wept tears of joy.






















If only we had made a different family picture I would use it because momma? Momma looks tired. Real tired.




















If you are friends with MeeMaw on Facebook then you know this, but Chinney has gone on to live in that big dog pen in the sky. It was a sad day. I won't go into the details of his untimely death, but a coyote was involved. My parent, oh my parents. I witnessed with my own eyes those 2 doing things for that dog they probably would have never done for one of us children. (My mother will deny that, but it is the truth and I have plenty of witnesses to back me up.) Reese will forever think he is "missing." She has asked about him a hundred times. Little Chinney Worth, you will be missed. I hope they are feeding you warm filet mignon and wrapping you up in blankets on the cold nights, just like your mother did.
















There is not one picture with MeeMaw and PeePaw because I heard my mother grumbling something along the lines of she had been up cooking since some ridiculous hour and hadn't even had time to put on her makeup, so I left it at that and didn't even request a picture.

I'm not trying to end this on a sad note, but I saw this last week and it possibly made a tear run down my face because it is ever so true. Most days I feel like her whole baby/childhood is slipping away while I'm at work (and it is), so I should slow down at home more often and not worry about the dishes, the laundry, and the home cooked meal I feel like my people deserve to get. (Maybe if it gets bad enough Adam will tell me to quit work;))

2 comments:

  1. once again Elena I have enjoyed reading your post and seeing pics of your beautiful child and once again , you have made me laugh !! seriously , you need to have this published one day ! love Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so funny how they get bored when their routine is interrupted?!?!? Ellie has been missing her friends while I'm off for a while. Thank goodness for grandparents and aunts and uncles!! :)
    I loved looking back at Reese's Easter pictures! They do grow so fast and it is so happy/sad. :)

    ReplyDelete