Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dear sleep, I've missed you dearly.

I haven't slept a whole night in 2 years and 5 months since Reese had her tonsils taken out. Why? Because she is either
a. calling out for "mook"
b. demanding that I "hold juuu" 
c. sleeping ACROSS our bed 
d. all of the above

The correct answer is D. All of the above. 

And let me tell you, I have been in a foul mood because of it. Not to mention how foul I have looked. 

We upgraded her to the toddler version of her crib. I rocked her to sleep, (which is what I did every. single. night. prior to the tonsils) laid her down in the toddler bed, and she slept beautifully until somewhere around midnight. She woke up crying and I was so afraid she would fall out of the bed. She ended up back in our bed because she said things like, "Mommy, cuddle me." And I was all like, "why, yes you sweet little angel. I will cuddle you every night from now on." (Actually she says "Ma-ie" not mommy.)

We knew she had to go back to her room. Adam was confident he had a couple of bruised ribs and black eyes from her kicking him during the night. (Whoever said men aren't dramatic never met one A-master.) 

Saturday we hauled in a full sized mattress because we knew we would lay down with her at some point. Saturday night came.
Reese: I sweepy.
Me: Let's go to your bed.
Reese: Nooooooo! Go to you bed. Lay down. 
Me. Noooooo. We can lay together in your big girl bed. 

I wrestle her into her room.
Reese: Wet (let) me down. Go to you room!! Peeeaassssee.

This was followed by more of the same ongoing argument plus A LOT of crying. She obviously underestimated my desire to prove to her daddy that I could make her sleep in her bed again. I won. And I won again Sunday night. And again Monday night. Victory is sweet.

We have a rail on one side and a pile of pillows on the other side. And, for good measure, a few more in the floor in case she falls off. 

She achieved the open mouth level of sleep last night. 

 I'd be lying if I said I didn't almost cry the ugly cry when we took down her crib. All those hours spent searching for the perfect fabric for the bumper pads. Sigh. It all passed so quickly. Now I'm spending hours planning her big girl room. MeeMaw better warm up that sewing machine because I've got big plans for a bed skirt, duvet cover, and curtains. Apparently I am the pickiest person alive because I haven't found a thing I would even consider buying. 

Friday I checked Jolie out of school under the guise of an appointment. Yeah, an appointment with more fun than the 3rd grade could ever offer. (I'm just kidding. She happens to have the same teacher I had in 3rd grade, and she remains my favorite teacher of all time.) For reasons unknown, my sister and I thought it was acceptable to let them have donuts, pizza, cotton candy, and THREE icees throughout the day. (I know why she thought it was okay. They were spending the night at my house.) The shopping trip came to a screeching halt when Reese told me (in front of The Children's Place employee), "I pee pee in the fwor." Well, thank you so much for announcing that to the world. At that point I felt obligated to buy something, and to take my posse to the house. 

Saturday looked a lot like this...












When the big girl room comes together, there will be a reveal post. I know you will be on the edge of your seat until then.

P.S. My proudest moment of the weekend came Sunday. As soon as church got started she stood up on the pew, pulled down her pigtails, and started taking off her dress. From now on we are going to be true to our roots and be back row Baptists. Then only Jesus will know what she does during worship. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a big girl bed!! We are working on Ellie's big girl room now too. It's hard!! Good luck on Reese's!! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, how hilarious can one get?
    To prove your stories, Reese is even sleeping crossways in her bed. Now Pee Paw has to believe all your stories of her sleeping that way.
    The Children's Palace? Sure am glad I didn't go in there yesterday and over hear the employees telling that story.
    Need to get that girl in good behavior before the new pastor comes because he may have to preach on parents taking their children into the nursery. Of course, he hasn't truly been introduced to Reese Caroline Robertson.
    So enjoy reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete