Monday, April 11, 2011

It was a lovely weekend filled with 2 naps and a jogging stroller

The following is a short story of how our weekend got started: It was Friday night around 9:10 P.M. and I had just laid the wee little one down for the night. Hubby and I were locking down the fort and preparing for bed ourselves when the telephone rang. I heard myself say in a slightly annoyed voice, "who in the world is calling here this late?" Reese has been going through some kind of mid-infancy crisis and hasn't slept very good for the last week and if the telephone ringing woke her up somebody better be hurt or dying. And you know who is was? No, not our parents. No, not any of our friends calling to see what we had planned for the weekend. It was Christy from so and so telemarketing company wanting to conduct some sort of survey. I can't remember all the specifics because when I realized it was a telemarketer my blood pressure rose to an unsafe level and almost caused me to black out. After I informed her that it was, "9:00 on a Friday night and don't you think that is a little too late to call peoples houses" and then I pressed the off button while wishing I could slam it down for emphasis A-master said, "I bet she thinks she just called a 90 year old granny." 9:00 might not seem late to most of you but to me it is the middle of the night. (And for the record if you need to call us at 9:00 it would be totally fine, I swear. But a telemarketer is going to hear about it.) My rage at the telemarketer could have had something to do with me having to be in Bessemer on Saturday from 9:00-1:00 for a class that is now known as the biggest waste of a Saturday there ever has been. And, for the record, Mr. Professor didn't let us go until 1:45. The only thing that annoyed me more was that he kept referring to himself in 3rd person. It got so bad that I had to step out into the lobby and buy myself a Diet Dr. Pepper which I gave up cold turkey over a month ago. Until Saturday. But there is a sliver lining to every cloud and this cloud had 2 silver linings: 1. My life cycle with Craigslist came full circle because I bought a jogging stroller I found listed last week (we have sold several things on Craiglist including a vehicle but didn't take our chances on making a purchase until last week when hubby and I both bought ourselves a little something) 2. Hubby and his family met me Saturday afternoon at PF Changs to eat for Uncle G's birthday. Okay, maybe it had 3 silver linings. 3. I got to do a little shopping. Here's Reese and the birthday boy. She glanced over at the fortune cookies leading Adam to think she needed to play with one. Like everything else it went straight into her mouth. I assure you she DID NOT eat the cookie. I took it away ASAP, but she loved licking it. On our way home we stopped at Publix also known as the store where I bought the 10 essential items that we had to have and spent more than our mortgage payment.But it was worth it because unlike a trip to WalMart it was the first time I have been grocery shopping and didn't see someone in a tank top with no bra. There are just some things you can't put a price on. In a tragic turn of events while we were walking the aisles Reese projectile spit up on her daddy who has the weakest stomach ever placed inside a human body. But fatherhood has changed him for the better. He can now look at spit up and baby poop and not even flinch. (Altough he does still gag on occasion.) Sunday on the way to church I remembered that I had Children's Church. Needless to say we were late after I ran in Dollar General to pick up a few snacks (and wait in line behind a patron wearing a tank top and no bra). Reese went with me to Children's Church because I knew she would love watching the kids play. She did not disappoint me.



We came home and she took 2, count em' 2 naps. I thought it was a joke because a nap? What's a nap? Like I said she has been going through a growth spurt or something and her sleep habits have been less than stellar. Just to let you know the depth of our sleep deprivation Adam dreamed one night last week that he beat up Big Bird. And then last night at church one of our friends came in and told us that he had shut the door to our car because clearly we can't get our lives together and we now leave our car door standing wide open. People who get a full 8 hours of sleep each night don't do things like this.

Adam thought she might be getting cold so he covered her up in his shirt because lets face it, he already had one eye closed himself and there was no way he could go searching for a blanket.


She woke up 2 hours later fresh as a daisy.


Since we were all rested and full of energy we took mommas new wheels out for a test spin. At one point I would have given her $10 to let me ride.




Considering that we aren't going to be running any marathons or anything it was a good purchase. Reese got to watch the dogs running in front of her while feeling the breeze in her hair. Actually she only felt a breeze in her hair when Adam pushed her. He clearly got a hold of some bad information when he heard that a jogging stroller was only for jogging. Hellooooo?? I wasn't built for jogging. Only walking fast which is just what we did when I was behind the wheel. After all that exercise she took nap #2. There is one dead give away as to when she is really sleeping. It's the binky...




When it falls out, that's when you know.



And those little feet crossed make my heart weep with tears of joy.


I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have been on our Pastor Search Committee since August and I am so happy to say that we have a new pastor who will be starting this Wednesday night. We are really excited about him and if you live in our area and don't already have a church we would love to have you with us at First Baptist of Ashland. If you are interested this is his blog.


Last night we said goodbye to our interim pastor, Brother Courtney. As an interim he went above and beyond for us. He came to the hospital the day we had Reese and he also performed our baby dedication. Such a sweet man and he will be greatly missed!



P.S. If ya'll need to call me at 9 P.M. one night please do not let my previous story deter you.

3 comments:

  1. I have caught myself wishing for a Publix in Oxford , but I swear I'd be poor!!! Everything looks soooo good in there, but way too pricey! And of course I'd love one for the obvious....not having to see the tank top no bra person! People are crazy I tell ya! That is Reese is a cutie patootie though! I love hearing all the funny things that happen in your life!! Not making fun at all, but LOVE the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena ..I love to read your blog..i can just picture you saying every word ! Reese is so precious !! i really need to see her and you again !
    have you got her Easter basket yet that i made her ? i left it at church the day of Matt and Sara's shower.. if you havent gotten it yet , i will get it to you this saturday , i promise ..

    ReplyDelete