Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring Break

I'm back. Sadly, the vacation is over and as of yesterday morning Reese protested by wrapping her legs tightly around me while doing the ugly cry when I tried to load her up for daycare. I told Adam I was not going back to work. And for 2.5 seconds I meant it. Apparently it had just slipped her mind how much fun she has at Mrs. Liz's because Adam said she was fine when she got there and started playing with Addison. 

We started off our week with Reese's 18 month check up. I'm not kidding when I tell you that as soon as we sat down in the well baby room she sneezed. Twice. And the looks I got from the other parents? Just what you'd expect. One little boys daddy gave me the stank eye for so long that I felt compelled to assure him she was not sick. She weighed 20.8 pounds and was 30 1/2 inches. She is in the 20th percentile for each.  While we were there I discovered that I'm the mother of the year because I pretty much let her drink milk at her discretion. Dr. C. notified me that she should have around 18 ounces of milk a day. She had already had that much by her appointment. It was 10:15 AM. So we spent the rest of the week cutting down on her "mook" inake and she was not happy about it. In theory less milk would make her eat better, but that has not been the case. She, a lot like her mother at a young age, is not a good eater. If I remember one thing from my childhood it was my daddy's endless concern about my eating habits. It all worked itself out in the end because let me be the first to say that, in adulthood, big momma has zero problems with her appetite.

I had 2 projects planned for last week. First, and most importantly, I had big plans of taking my house back. Baby toys had started running so rampant that we hardly had anywhere left to sit. So I cleaned out our extra bedroom, called in my sister to paint, and relocated all the toys into 1 central location. The second project fell squarely on Adam's shoulders. He was to build Reese a play kitchen. I know what you're thinking. Why didn't we just buy one? Because that would have been too easy. Plus I like to see all those tools I've bought him over the years put to good use. And I love nothing more than the tirade he goes on when he mismeasures and tries to figure out just where he went wrong.




















Everytime I saw him measuring twice, cutting once I would silently pray that she would actually play with the kitchen that he was working so hard on.

Prayers answered. She loves it. The Easter bunny was going to bring a tea set for her, but she found it and whinned until I opened it. I can't even begin to count the tea parties we had last week. She has stacked and moved those plates and cups for hours on end. One night she stayed up until 9:00 playing and was so tired. A plate wouldn't stack just her way and she got so mad that she threw it against the wall. When she proceeded to slap the wall I knew it was time to intervene. Have I told y'all about her temper? 




















So the kitchen set isn't 100% conplete yet. It still doesn't have a faucet and it is missing a microwave and stove knob, but maybe this weekend we Adam can pry it away from her and finish it.



















Anytime Adam plays with my hair she shakes her little hand and says "no, no, no, no." He told her that he'd been playing in my hair before she was even a twinkle in our eye and he wouldn't be stopping now.



Most of the week we spent "at-side." She pretty much touched everything she wasn't supposed to including splashing all of the dogs water on her shoes.  
We also did a little fishing one afternoon. She loved to touch the "pish"
And that pretty much wraps up the week. Except when I cut the grass one day and witnessed with my 2 eyes a murder. I am still not mentally prepared to discuss it, but just know that Autie is called a "Rat Terrier" for a reason. Adam said it should be "rat terror." It was vicious and I may never recover. She is earning her keep and I'll leave it at that.

You probably just want me to shut up about this already, but I've started running. I might have mentioned something about it 3 or 30 times. If you've read the blog for any period of time you are aware that I get on kicks of fitness. But lets don't confuse fitness with health. My eating habits have not changed nor will they change. Over my cold body will I give up fried food. This week will be week 5 of Running Elena. 

But please, hold your applause.

I don't love running. It is painful and not in productive ways, but Adrianne and I are running a 5k in 18... count em 18 days. Two Saturdays ago I met a couple of ladies that we go to church with at 6:15 AM and ran 5 miles with them. My legs just quievered when I  mentioned it. One of my coworkers runs with me after school a couple of days a week and Adrianne and I have been running on Sundays. I would SO have quit 4 and a 1/2 weeks ago if I didn't have somebody to run with. And Adam doesn't count. In the past when I have ran with him he spends part of the time judging my running posture and the other part complaining that I asked him to go with me. And I am not even going to mention the time I asked him to play tennis with me. If he had hit that ball over the fence one more time we would have gone through the big D. And I don't mean Dallas. Oh, and the 2 times we rode bikes? He was sore in places I can't even talk about on the blog and I swore right then I would never stoop to asking him to be my workout partner. One afternoon Adrianne and I pushed Reese 3 miles. I was THIS close to leaving her on the side of the road and continuing our run when Adrianne took one for the team and pushed her for a while. It was the most painful 3 miles of my 5 week workout life. But Reese never seems to mind the run...

I am still waiting to feel that "runners high" I have heard so much about. As of today it still hasn't showed up, but I'll let y'all know if it ever does. At this point it's either trying to be fashionably late or
non existent. I'm going with the latter.

3 comments:

  1. The kitchen is precious! Adam did a wonderful job. Keep up the running, maybe you will motivate me...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been running too (won't tell you how much because that's just embarrassing, but..) and I haven't felt the runner's high yet either!!! I don't think it's meant to be for me!!!
    The kitchen is too cute!! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up !! i am laughing out loud about the murder you witnessed !!
    The kitchen is precious ! adam did an awesome job and I know Reese will treasure it for many many years !! can i come play with Reese and her kitchen ?
    I love reading your blog and sorry your spring break it over ! Love Bev

    ReplyDelete