Friday, March 23, 2012

Move over Paula Deen

Y'all I'm just kidding. I love me some Paula. I have her DVR-ed everyday at 4. Usually because by 4 I am slaving over a hot stove making some new creation I have found on Pinterest. Pinterest has not been kind to our waist lines. Or I am "at-side" with the girl trying to con her into going back in at some point before bedtime.
Ok. Brace yourself for this one. It is one of my current favorites. Of course, if your people are anything like Adam they probably won't like this. He doesn't care for spaghetti, lasagna, or Hamburger Helper. I have no idea how we ever got together.

Baked Ziti

Before I forget let me tell you. This recipe makes 2 dishes. In theory you eat one now and freeze one for later. I half the recipe because, call me spoiled if you want, I don't love frozen then cooked food. It sounds too much like left overs and I'm not a fan of those either. I am a woman of sophistocated, non leftover, non "pink slime" taste.

2 lb. ground beef (preferably without "pink slime")
1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt/pepper to season ground beef
1 jar (4 pounds 3 ounces) Prego Fresh Mushroom Italian Sauce (7 1/2 cups) I am NOT a fan of mushrooms so I use the Onion, Basil, Garlic sauce or something like that.
1 pkg. (16 ounces) tube-shaped pasta (ziti), cooked and drained
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I use a touch more than this. I sprinkle the top until I sufficiently feel like it can no longer breath.)

Cook the beef and onion in an 8-quart saucepot over medium high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often. Stir the sauce, ziti and 2 cups mozzarella cheese in the saucepot. Spoon the beef mixture into 2 (11×13) pans. Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until the beef mixture is hot. To make ahead and freeze: Prepare the ziti as directed above but do not bake. Cover the pans with foil and freeze. Bake the frozen ziti, uncovered, at 350°F. for 1 hour or until it’s hot. Or, thaw the ziti in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then bake, uncovered, at 350°F. for 45 minutes or until it’s hot.


Chicken Spaghetti
I don't have an exact recipe for this. I inherited this when I got married. (And my mother in law will probably cringe as she read what I have done to her recipe.)

Chicken breast- I buy the ones already cut into strips because I like to limit my encounters with raw poultry.
1 can of Rotel
4-8 ounces of Velveeta cheese (depending on yur love of processed cheese products)
Spaghetti noodles
Onions and bell pepper (mainly because it makes me feel good that I'm eating veggies)
Butter (if Paula were here she would say put in a whole stick)

Cook the chicken in a pressure cooker, but don't cook it to death like I tend to do. After it's cooked I cut it into bite size pieces.
Cook noodles as directed on the package.
Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the chopped onions and bell peppers. I am sure there is an exact amount, but I don't know what that would be. I usually do about half an onion and bell pepper.
Here is where the whole recipe takes a sharp right down healthy street. Add the velveeta cheese that has been cut into cubes. Stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
Add Rotel (or you can add the Rotel with the cheese cubes. I really don't think it matters)
Mix the ultra healthy/non fattening velveeta mixture and the noodles together in a baking dish (or cast iron skillet which is what I do because I think it makes me look like a true southern belle to use cast iron. Plus the first time I took the apple pie (that I also inherited) to my parents in a cast iron skillet they were stunned into silence.)(It's because they thought I didn't have it in me to cook with cast iron.)
Cook for a little while. I don't know exactly how long. I have found that if I cook it too long it causes it to dry out. It seems like the recipe says 30 minutes, but I wouldn't dare cook it that long.

If I'm your friend on Facebook you might have seen where I asked about a play kitchen earlier this week. Well, Thursday morning my sister called to tell me that she didn't know I was looking for a play kitchen. She took one to Mrs. Liz on Wednesday because she was cleaning out their play room. Oh, and a slide too. And Reese was the first one to get on it and slide when she got to daycare with it. Well, well. I bet Reese would have LOVED that slide in her very own play room. At her very own house. And no Heather, I will not ever let you forget that you overlooked your youngest niece and gave a perfectly good play kitchen to someone else. Reese is devestated. I hope you feel good about yourself.

This afternoon starts my spring break so you might or might not hear from me over the next week. (After 3 post this week you will probably be glad I am taking some time off) If I am not reporting back to you by Monday somebody come look for me. I have some major cleaning planned and if you've seen my house in the last month then you know it could turn deadly.

Last thing I am going to say and I will be done. Yesterday after school we did a little shopping with Allison and Addison. If I heard "Ad-son" one time I heard it a thousand.
















I bought Reese these little flip flops while we were at Target. They lead to the biggest meltdown I have ever seen this morning when I made her wear them. She pitched a fit, but I made the executive decision that I am the momma and she is a wee baby and I am calling the apparel shots for now. Did any of you daycare momma's notice if she was still wearing them after Adam left????

3 comments:

  1. LOVE those pics of the girls! When I saw the one on FB last night Luke kept pointing to my phone and saying "Ris" and "Aaaa-dee"...so sweet! There may not be many boys around his age, but he loves those girls, ha!

    Justin took the kids this morning, but I will be on the lookout for the flops this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the recipes sound wonderful..i love baked ziti and will def try yours ! love the pics of those precious girls . sad I didnt see ya'll at Target : (
    love the flip flops too !
    love Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls are just precious. Mothers are teaching them good shopping traits.
    Folks, Elena's house is always spotless. On Tuesday Adam calls me and said ADT has called and the front door is open. I jumped in the car, without my gun and without my phone.
    What was I thinking? The front door was open and in I went. I really thought someone had to have been in there because I have never been over when the house wasn't spotless. (Reminded me of my Jr. year in high school when I came home and my bathroom and bedroom had been turned outside down. Robberies had visited after I left for school.)
    Glad to report that noone had been in the house.
    Next time you make either of these meals please feel free to invite your mother and in laws.

    ReplyDelete