Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sweet Home Alabama

What is the opposite of a vacation? I need to know the correct terminology because whatever the word is it is exactly what I was on last week.

I have offically spent 72 straight hours with 50 horomone raging teenagers.  And it wasn't even on my bucket list. I am just a glutton for punishment. But I can now tell you what I'd like to see more of in todays youth. A little more drama. They are definitely lacking drama. I got to hear all about the questionable hotel we stayed in the second night, and "oh my goodness Mrs. Robertson we don't have cable! Go get it fixed! Please!" And, "Mrs. Robertson did you SEE the floral comforter on the bed?" Clearly, first world problems.

My favorite moment of the trip was when I witnessed a girl who might weigh 80 pounds soaking wet carrying a bag that couldn't have weighed an ounce less than 60 pounds up 2 flights of stairs because a girl can't get away for 2 nights with less than 6 pairs of shoes.

Seriously though it went so much smoother than I had it built up in my mind. Except Wednesday night. After I got them all locked in their rooms I accidentally let my mind wander to places of me spending a life sentence in the state penitentiary because I lost one of them. It caused me to break out into a cold sweat. I don't think my eyes ever closed that night. And it's a good thing they never closed because I had a student banging on my door at 3:30 A.M. throwing up. Good times.

I got in the bed BEFORE 8 Saturday and Sunday night and I am still exhausted this morning. Partly because I saw 1:00 A.M. Friday morning when rumor had it on the Beta Club street that I was the bomb dot com sponsor that let them stay up later than I had originally planned. And Lord knows my primary goal in life is to be the bomb dot com Beta sponsor.

We started the trip out by going to the aquarium which wasn't a great move on my part because it made me doubt I'll ever get back in the ocean. And I certainly won't ever get back in the lake. Ever.

Every night ended with masking tape over the door to ensure they didn't try to escape. I got more than a couple of calls claiming, "we accidentally opened the door! Puh-lease! Don't send us home!"



















Don't they just scream fun? Fun mixed with horomoes and topped with drama.
















We arrived back around 4 on Friday where MeeMaw was kind enough to bring my girl. She was waiting with her arms out when I stepped off the bus. I don't know who was more excited. Me or her. Or her daddy that I was back to do the required cleaning and laundry.

Saturday we drove to Rome Georgia to see our friends Jared, Elizabeth, and Sarah. It was a landmark day in my life because we had pictures made at the house that is in Sweet Home Alabama which happens to be one of my all time favorite movies. It takes me back to senior year of high school because BFF Steph and I went to the movies to see itt and that was a point in life we had it all figured out. And quiet frankly I like how that felt because 10 years later I wish I knew half of what I thought I knew then.

When we got there I was star struck. I just knew that Pearl and Earl would be there, and I had some lingering quesitons for Pearl. Like what in the world is bologna cake? Sadly, they must have gone back to their double wide to fry something because they were no where in sight.





















Remember this scene? Where Bobby Ray and Colonial Murphy shot the cannon and it fell right through the roof. Elizabeth confirmed my suspision that they brought in a fake replica so that the roof could be destroyed.



















This is where the wedding was held. I was hoping I was going to walk back there and see Melanie slapping Mayor Kate across the face for talking trash about her momma and the south.
The last time we had pictures made was for Reese's first birthday. It did not go well. She wouldn't crack a smile. I am happy to report that she slept for an hour on the ride over and was much more cooperative during this photo shoot. Except one picture where she was on Adam's shoulders. She did not appreciate being carried like a sack of tators. (Now there is a southern saying that didn't make the movie but should have.)























Evidently Reese was tired of getting her picture made.


















But then they hugged and made up.



















Saturday night we met up with Adam, Adrianne, and Uncle G for mexican. Reese loves her some chips and salsa. It has to be directly linked to the amount of mexican I ate while she was in utero.






















Last night she was walking around the house pushing her shopping cart with my sunglasses on her head. And talking on my cell phone. They learn quick don't they?
 On the way back from eating Uncle G taught her some dance moves. Uncle G thought this move was called the cabbage patch, but wasn't entirely sure. He also told her, "your getting right about the age that I'm going to really like you. Then you'll outgrow it and be annoying."  
P.S. These pictures are brought to you straight from the new iPhone I bought myself. Adam kept trying to give me his, but NO WAY! Because if, Lord forbid, I lost it I would never hear the end of it. You lose one cell phone and everybody becomes a critic.

1 comment:

  1. You are SO HILARIOUS!! If you write the book I will buy 20 copies (signed please!) as gifts. So get to work Elena and write a book!!

    ReplyDelete