Monday, May 13, 2013

And then he turned 30!

Adam gave me very strict orders to NOT throw him a birthday party. Under no circumstances was I to plan a celebration of any kind, so there is no party to tell you about. Only dinner at Yume and his favorite cheesecake that he shared with his favorite girls.

It all started like this
























All week I asked Reese what she wanted to do for daddy's birthday, "I want boons." So we had balloons and took him his favorite breakfast of cinnamon rolls in bed. Then he, "got up an kicked 30's booty." Which means that he wasn't going to let turning 30 get the best of him, and he spent the better part of the day cutting grass and trimming the shrubs just to show 30 that he still had it in him.

I did at little Q and A and this is the insight I got into turning 30:

So it's your birthday. The big one. 3-0. What do you want to do on your big day?
I want to sleep until 7:00 and get up and go ramble around in town without a bunch of huffing and puffing from you.
(By " town" he means Ashland and Lineville. And I never huff and puff (except when he says, "I'll be back in just a little bit" and 4 hours later I have to hunt him down because I'm the queen of worrying myself right into a scenario where he is laying on the side of the road after a terrible accident and needing help.)

How do you feel about turning 30?
Glad to be here. There were times I didn't think I'd make it this far. Hopefully I can continue to bring sexy back in my thirties like I did in my twenties. My twenties will never forget me and me them. 

What would you say are the 5 biggest moments of the past 30 years?
Getting my driver's license, getting to live out my childhood dream of being a firefighter, meeting and marrying you, the birth of our girl, and the day George Jones died. 
(Well, sure. George Jones would make the list.)

If you could change 2 things about the past 30 years, what would they be?
1. Be nicer to my peeps when I was young. Reese has made me realize what torture I put them through. (Y'all, she is only 2. He ain't seen nothing yet. He didn't have a sister or anything like that, so he has no idea how bad this could potentially get during her teenage years.)
2. Rent instead of buying when we first got married. That should be a law. (I realize that goes against everything people tell you to do. They tell you to buy for the investment and blah blah blah. What they forgot to tell us was that a recession was about to hit and the value of our house was going down the drain.)
(I only ask for 2 but I got 3.)
3. I wish I would have never eaten chili and gotten sick that time. To this day I can't force myself to eat it, and it looks so good. 
(And personally I wish he would have never seen that roach in his tea at Shoney's. I adore their hot fudge cake, but noooooooooo. We can't eat there. He claims he saw a roach in his tea when he was 6 and still hasn't forgotten it.)

What are some things you would tell Reese to do before she turns 30?
Travel. Enjoy yourself. Once you settle down and find the next best thing to Mr. Right ( as your daddy, I'm the one and only Mr. Right), things change.  They change for the better, it will just be a different kind of better. 
(What? The way he worded that didn't exactly sound like it was "a different kind of better.")

At 30 what are your favorite things to do during your free time?
Watch Little Einstein's and eat Popsicles. And rest so my food can digest. 
(Now I can't decide if he is turning 3 or 93.)

What are some things you hope to do before turning 40?
Build a house. 
(Ughhhhh. That was me loudly complaining about this because we have remodeled 2 previous houses, so I know exactly how life consuming this process is. Plus we have 1.5 children now, so it will be twice as bad.)

And that concluded our interview. He is a vault of knowledge don't you agree?

I got a remote for my camera so we could make pictures as a family. Of course, Reese wanted to be in charge of pressing the button. These are the pictures I got



She was serious about pointing it in the right direction. 

Later that afternoon we had dinner with his people. 



Can you really turn 30 without the restaurant singing to you? 


....
And every time these two get together I worry about what he is going to teach her that I don't approve of.
We went home for his favorite cheesecake and to blow out the candles. 



This list is from 2 years ago, but all of these still hold true.

Happy 30th Birthday! You have made my life so much more fun than it ever would have been without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment