Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cookie sheets

I have neglected to tell y'all this because I am ashamed. But the first step to recover it admission right? Well, I am the loser mom at daycare. Loser. Reese always comes home with these little gift from her friends at daycare. Emma and Luke always give Reese books to read. What do I send? Nothing. Candy, when I remember. Not this year. No, ma'am. Since pinterest came into my life I am a changed woman. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would do the girls at daycare a cookie sheet chalkboard. So the following is a play by play of how it all went down.


First, I made this picture of my baby because she was looking cuter than ever.




Then I got all of my things together.

Cookie sheet $1 at Dollar Tree (and I am not kidding when I tell you that I almost asked a worker how much they were. I've been a little off my A game lately. Can you tell?)
Paint brush
Ribbon
Chalkboard paint (I used the spray kind on some and the liquid on others. The spray is around $8 at Hobby Lobby and the liquid is about $12 at Lowe's.)
Sanding block- free because the hubs already had that
Spray primer- which is technically optional since I forgot to use it on a couple of mine.
Painters tape





Since the cookie sheets have some sort of slick finish on them (which I would be willing to bet is harmful to our health in one way or another) the paint will not stick. Trust me I tried it. So I scuffed it up with a sanding block. Don't you love my action shot here?



Then I taped the edges with painters tape. Or you could just paint the whole thing with chalkboard paint. Totally up to you.




Then I called in for reinforcements to drill my holes. But if you don't have those types of reinforcements you could just use a hot glue gun. Which later you will see why I should have done just that.






Here is the step I forgot when I was actually documenting with the camera. Spray the board with primer so the chalkboard paint has something to stick to.


I painted 3 coats on mine, but it might could have used more. I'm just very impatient at times. After that dried, I cut the girls initial out with my Cricut and glued it to the board.



Also-side note- the spray kind has a very smooth finish while the liquid will leave a more lined look. Which looks better is all according to preference.






Periodically I had to stop the project to get a stick out of Reese's mouth.




Tie ribbon through the holes...And the final product....



And another version which lead to a marital dispute. I recommend waiting until after the holes are drilled to put the initals on the board or it could turn out like this...





The boys got a ball and camo socks. I wanted to do them chalkboards too, but put footballs or baseballs on them. Adam said absolutely not because it was too girlie.


Dollar Tree also had round and rectangle platters that would have been absolutely adorable.


I would have loved this as a kid. Plus they are easy and inexpensive.


P.S. I have found multiple uses for chalkboard paint. It could become some type of obsession for me.

2 comments:

  1. They turned out so cute, and Emma loves hers! I painted my classroom door with chalkboard paint a few years ago...love that stuff! I hope Santa was good to Reese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutie! And, by the way Adam, boys love stuff like that too. Just leave off a little of the frill and pink :)

    ReplyDelete