Saturday, March 2, 2013

So many random things

I know this surprises y'all (particularly Adam), but I've got a lot to say.

Monday night we were in Reese's bed telling her stories to get her to sleep. I always have to tell her "bout da bears" and "bout da pigs." When we asked her to say her prayers she said, "I did eserday." In her life, everything happens yesterday. Monday night she wanted Adam to "tell bout da mountains." In third person he started telling her about our trip to Jackson Hole, "The momma, and the daddy, and the little baby named Reese all went to the mountains. When they got there they rode in their chariot called a Versa. It had all of two and a half horses. When the daddy would make it go fast up the mountain it would get in a bind and sound like the motor was going to blow up." I don't think I have to tell you how hard I laughed. 

It seems like everywhere we have been in the past 2 weeks somebody has had a virus. Of course anytime I mention a virus, Adam calls it, "the virus" as if it is THE ONE that's going to take him down. I have no doubt that if somebody told him he could avoid throwing up by drinking gasoline he would pull up to the pump and guzzle premium unleaded. He has been on a steady diet of "tummy bug juice" for I know the past month, possibly longer. 

Thursday morning I walked past Adam in the bathroom while he was getting ready for work:
Adam: Lookin' good.
Me: Thank you.
Adam: No, I'm talking about me.

Sigh. 

February and March are the beginning of my absolute favorite time of the school year. (Not of the whole year because I think the record shows that fall is my favorite time of the year followed closely by June and July (for obvious teacher reasons). Through my unofficial 5 years of research I have found that this is also the time of year that the kids actually like me. Shocking. Up until now it's all strict and serious, but then the kids have figured out how I am and I have figured out how they are, and we get to actually relax a little (in the discipline department). Plus, by now, all the trouble makers have usually found themselves either in alternative school or suspended.  

Thursday I read Oh, the Places You'll Go to my students. I realize the good Dr.'s birthday isn't until today, but I was (cough, cough) sick Friday so I had to read it Thursday. I love getting to read this book because it is particularly relevant to high school students who are faced with all sorts of life changing decisions on a daily basis. After reading it, they have to write their own version that starts "Oh, the Places I'll Go." They have to discuss their 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year plan, making it all rhyme. In my 5 years of doing this assignment the most memorable was a student who talked about how he would be in and out of jail during each of those periods of his life. Later that year he robbed the grocery store in town, but got caught because his getaway car wouldn't crank. People, I can't make this stuff up. 

I got peer pressured into taking off Friday. Allison and I were both sick. Yeah, sick of school. I'm just kidding. I can speak for Allison when I say that she loves all the little children. Oh, and me too. I love most some all off the big children. It was the first time we had ever taken off for un-child related purposes. It was liberating. We went to Cottontails and on the way I changed her life. She didn't necessarily say those exact words, but I know when I introduced her to a venti White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks her life was forever changed. Allison, you my friend, are welcome.

I am cheap. Well, let me clarify. I will lay down the cash for things I deem worthy, but trivial things will be and have been cut from our lives in a red hot minute. Such things include: land line phones, call waiting, caller ID (Adam was devastated about the caller ID. You would have thought I had our electricity turned off.). We wouldn't even have a land line except we have limited cell service at our house. Between the cell phone service and the lack of high speed internet you would think we live on another planet. Anyway, I called to get our package changed on our land line. Before I even ask about the outlandish $45 a month we paid for local calls and 100 minutes of long distance (we need long distance because we both have out of area cell numbers) the guy had added call waiting and caller ID AND lowered our bill to $15 a month. I almost wept. Caller ID is right up there on my list with the invention of indoor plumbing, and not something I ever want to live without again. But if the price goes up? It's gone.

I went to the new Publix yesterday. A-maz-ing. After I fought the battle getting in the door, it was smooth sailing. Not one time did my buggy get side swiped, and I didn't feel like we had caught an incurable disease when we left, unlike any trip EVER to Walmart- which is officially dead to me. (Considering the grocery bill when I left, I may be speaking a little too hastily about the Walmart thing. I'll probably eat those words.)

Reese gave these out for Valentine's Day. I had all the bags ready to put ribbon on and I looked over and saw her getting worms out, licking them, making a terrible face and putting them back in the bag.  Disclaimer to the day care mothers: those were trashed. 



Another disclaimer to the day care mothers: that pair of Tinkerbell pajamas that she has on every. single. morning? That's actually 3 pair that are on a regular rotation. She refuses to wear anything else, and to be honest with you it is a battle I will not fight. Which is exactly why I went back and bought more.

She is still loving her big girl bed. I still have not decided on a duvet cover fabric mainly because the fabric I want is going to cost me a small fortune.


She is in love with these turquoise shoes I bought at Target. If only she had an outfit to match them.

And that's all for now. I think. 

2 comments:

  1. I, too, was "sick" on Friday. And when I sent a note home on Monday telling parents that I would be "out of the classroom on Friday" (you know, to make it sound all workshop-ish) and that our tests would be Thursday, my kids began telling each other that I was going to be sick on Friday. I went with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day off to myself sounds like the best thing ever....I'm going to work on that!! :)
    I love Publix too....I just tend to only buy the sale items!! At Publix if there's something you want that is Buy One Get One Free, but you only want one, you can get one at half price!! I think every store should be like that but they aren't jumping on that bandwagon!! :) But it's nice to know! (Who needs two big jars on mayonnaise at one time?!?!) :)

    ReplyDelete