Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Prayer and Old Wives Tales

Never underestimate the power of prayer…and old wives tales. A few weeks ago when Dr. Ballard told me it wasn’t good that Reese had been in the breech position for so long she also made a few recommendations. She said that her first child was breech and a couple of times a night she would prop on her knees and elbows to help the baby turn. She said it was nothing more than an old wives tale, but it couldn’t hurt to try. So….for the past two weeks I have obeyed the doctors orders. Then a few of you gave me more recommendations

  • laying with my feet over the back of the couch with my head toward the floor
  • putting a frozen pack of peas on the top of my stomach because her head would move away from the cold…I used broccoli because we were fresh out of frozen peas
  • and I have been preparing for my final attempt to turn her…turning on an electric toothbrush and letting it vibrate her head which would cause her to move…

We had a doctor’s appointment yesterday and I, of course, wanted to know if she was still breech. They thought she had turned so to be sure we had a quick sonogram. I could have kissed the nurse practitioner who did the sonogram when she confirmed that Reese is in the correct head-down position!!!! I almost jumped off the table with excitement! Now I realize this doesn’t necessarily mean that a C-section is out of the question, but it sure makes me feel better. My main fear of a C-section is that I would have to go to the hospital in no pain whatsoever and be ready to lean over a table and get an epidural. Look, I may have come to terms with all of this blood taking, but a needle in the spine is something completely different. I feel as though I will be able to openly accept a needle coming at me from behind if I am in pain…as opposed to showing up at the hospital at a designated time to receive my punishment. Adam said she overheard me talking about sticking a toothbrush to her head and she headed south. I have no idea when she turned, but what I have thought was a round head between my ribs was actually a “boney butt”- those are the words of the nurse practitioner. She also appears to have quiet a bit of hair and a “pug nose.” She weighed 5.5 pounds, and the nurse practitioner felt like in another month she would weigh around 6.5 pounds. So for now I would like to thank all of you who have been in prayer with me over this matter. Mostly, I would like to thank God for answering not only the big requests in my life, but the small, insignificant ones such as this. I think He even knows that this could have put me right into some sort of mental institution! Plus Adam was getting really tired of hearing me talk about this all the time. I think he secretly wants a C-section so that he can sit behind a curtain with me while all of the "gross" stuff goes on....refer back to the post "Elena, I have no medical experience..." concerning how Adam feels about labor and delivery:)

No comments:

Post a Comment