Monday, February 21, 2011

Swingin' in the Sun

I am trying not to think about the fact that I should be at home napping and doing important things like holding my baby today, but thanks to all that snow we had I am here at the ole school house.

I have one important thing from the weekend that I feel I should discuss with ya'll.

The apple does not fall far from the tree.

I am sure you have heard this quote. And, people, it has never been truer than it was at our house this very weekend. Reese had several serious meltdowns. Actually I use the term "meltdown" loosely. It was a crying episode that I can only compare to the sound of someone repeatedly running their fingernails along a chalkboard.

The problem? She was fighting sleep- to.the.bitter.end.

According to D.D. her daddy did this very thing. And ya'll know how they soothed him? Riding him around in the car.
I would like to point out that back then gas was not $3.14 a gallon. But in the grand scheme of things that is a small price to pay for my sanity. Especially considering the cost of therapy I was going to be faced with to get over the trauma of all of the crying.
So, please, allow me to paint a picture for you. On Saturday Adam and PeePaw had been doing some cleaning up in our yard. We had been outside all day while Reese got pushed in her swing and watched the dogs who she finds utterly hilarious. (Now that I look at this picture it looks like Dixie was nibbling on her toes. Ya'll please don't call DHR. We are doing the best we can.)

She was the picture of babyhood with all of her chubbiness and big gummy grins...







Please note: Jolie had to wear one of Reese's head bands.

And that's when things went south. I took a shower and washed my hair while she layed on a pallet talking and laughing. I could tell her talking was turning angry so I hurried and got out.
And here is where she started with the whining. And who can blame her? She has a rough life with all of the love and adoration.
She proceeded to cry uncontrollably for so long that I was sure I would need therapy to regain composure. With my hair still in a towel hubby decided that something must be done! He couldn't take it any longer!
But what to do? Nothing was working!
And this is where another quote comes to mind...
Never say never. Ever heard that one??
I don't want to start any bad habits, but Lord have mercy. We couldn't take it for one more moment. So we loaded her up in the car and drove around (which I might or might not have said I would never do) for about 15 minutes. And yes, I was looking lovelier than ever with my wet hair that had not even been brushed. Thankfully I retained enough sense in my head to take the towel off as I ran out the door.
She finally nodded off to sleep. Dear Lord, do your blessings ever end?
And in that moment several things were clarified for me. #1- she is going to resemble her daddy more than me (which I am totally fine with) #2- the apple does not fall far from the tree (which I do have a problem with. A big problem. Why should I pay for his wicked ways as a child? Why, oh why?)
This scenario happened once again before the evening was over. Except I didn't have wet hair.
Did I say I had 1 thing to discuss? I meant 2.
That roll we were on with her sleeping all night in her bed...that has stopped. I regret to inform you that for several nights now (the lack of sleep has caused me to lose track of the exact number) she has woke up crying. Mainly because she looses her binky. And bless your heart if you think we left her in her room after getting up the 12th time to put that paci in her mouth.
I totally lack the motherhood gene that allows for walking back and forth to her bedroom at all hours of the night in order to keep her out of our bed. I have NO IDEA where she gets the need to sleep in the bed with her parents. No idea.
So if you have any friendly suggestions as to how this problem can be solved I would like to hear them. But please refrain from telling me to let her cry it out at 3 A.M. If I didn't have to get up for work I might have it in me to try that method, but currently that is not the case.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Elena, the apple doesn't fall from the tree, right. If I am not mistaken Reese's mom slept in the bed with her parents until she was how old(???).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate to hear Noah "cry it out". I also didn't like getting up 50 times at night to put a paci in his mouth either, so he slept with us :) Yeah, it's not the practical thing to do, dr.'s say don't do it, yadda yadda yadda. But, it's YOU who is loosing sleep, right? I say put that sweet girl right in the bed beside you and all three of you get a good nights rest! She'll grow out of it, trust me! Noah sleeps by himself now. So, trust me! And it won't be long until she will be 16 and won't want to have anything to do with you and you'll want her to sleep with you. Take in all the snuggle time you can get right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MeeMaw can you please not rain on my parade?? I am trying to blame all of her not-so-pleasant traits on her daddy. He slept with his parents too, you know.
    Brandi- it looks like we are headed straight to the days of her not even knowing she has her own bed. And I am going to enjoy every moment of her sweet little self if it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no advice. Just put her in the bed - maybe you should even start out that way so your sleep won't be interrupted. We only tried the "cry it out" because Dusty started this bouncing trick that we just could not keep up once she got over 15 pounds. She could only be bounced one way and one way only. Do what you know is best and don't listen to anyone else! You gotta have your sleep!

    ReplyDelete