Monday, June 21, 2010

"Elena, I have no medical experience..."

Since I have a very serious issue with my throat closing up anytime I am near a doctor’s office, I thought that a prenatal class was necessary for Adam and I to attend before the birth of Baby Reese. For the record, Adam basically went to this class kicking and screaming. I would rather have my blood taken again than hear him complain about this class…haha, just kidding! On Friday night the last words I heard were, “I just can’t imagine what they will talk about from 9 till 3 tomorrow.” Overall, I was well informed of lots of important things…some I needed to know and some that I could have gone a lifetime without hearing! It has been well documented that I am TERRIFIED of needles. I know, I know, this is completely a mental problem and quite frankly I have no desire to face this fear in hopes of fixing it! I have made up my mind that a couple of needles, big as they may be, will not stand in the way of my joy on the day I meet my first child. I know as soon as the IV and epidural are over I will tell Adam how it wasn’t as bad as I thought, but getting to that point is what keeps me up at night….Well, now I am not the only one up at night…Adam couldn’t even eat all of his Chick-Fil-A nuggets during our lunch break from the prenatal class because he was queasy. The sweet nurse who was over the class told us all we wanted to know and more about the way in which this sweet little girl will arrive into the world….most of which was way more than her Daddy ever needed to know! For those of you who have never been to a prenatal class- they show videos!! And no offense to anyone…but why would any woman refuse an epidural??? I really don’t understand, but every woman for herself, I guess. Adam will be in the room for the birth- which I am pretty sure he would wait in the lobby with the grandparents if he thought I wouldn’t tell Baby Reese when she is older- but he has made it clear he will have no part in this birthing experience other than staring straight into my face. A direct quote, “Elena, I have no medical experience. I am not qualified to hold your leg or anything else.” After his behavior during and after the class I seriously question if he will even be able to cut the cord. Until she is bathed and powdered I am not sure he will even look at her! When we took a tour of the labor and delivery room Adam felt better because “the lights are going to be dimmed” and “there is a couch that I can lay on if I get light headed.” Please let’s make sure Adam is comfy while I give birth to our child! An anesthesiologist came to the labor and delivery room while we were taking a tour and gave a full description of the epidural process… surprisingly, I felt much better about it after I heard what he had to say. After all, an epidural can’t be as bad as contractions, right?? While we were at the class the hospital went into a “Code Black” which was due to a thunderstorm warning that went into effect…is that a bad sign?

Even though the class took a whole Saturday I highly recommend it! I learned so much and it has eased some of my fears about having a baby...even if it didn't help Adam at all:)

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny! After reading your weekly blog update saying ya'll were going, I wasked Louise if she had scheduled her visit!!! LOL :) Glad your fears were eased by it! I hope it does the same for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena.....You crack me up!!! Yall are just too funny!!! I can't wait for the day when Reese can look back and read about the fun times leading up to her arrival!!! Glad you are feeling good....Love you both! Well all 3 of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny and so familiar! You both will be fine just breathe! Jeremy was just as nervous about baby Sophie as Adam is about baby Reese. Also, when we were at the hospital there was some sort of code too. I just tried to pay it no attention. We were all fine. You know I was one of the "refusers" because I was afraid of the epidural. I took it and I was fine. Like I said, just breathe. Let me know if yall need anything. You will be surprised just how much Adam is going to change when he is in there and sees you going through this stuff. He will be curious!

    ReplyDelete