Thursday, July 22, 2010

31 Weeks and the Gestational Diabetes Test

At 31 Weeks Reese is the size of 4 navel oranges weighting about 3 1/2 lbs

How Far Along: 31 weeks
Weight Gain: I have lost track...such a shame;)
Maternity Clothes: I went by a Motherhood Maternity store this week and got a couple of things since school starts back in two weeks:(. I am going back to work until she gets here which should be about 7-8 weeks from school starting. I know, I know I will be swelled up like a balloon every afternoon from being on my feet all day.
Stretch Marks: Not yet.
Sleep: God bless the makers of the Boppy maternity pillow! I love those people. I had to break it to Adam that the pillow will not be disappearing after Reese gets here.
Baby Movement: Yes. She is getting more cramped in there by the minute.
Food Cravings: I got to eat Olive Garden after my 3 hour gestational diabetes test last week (more on that in a moment) and it was delicious!
What I Miss: Being able to bend over to get things. I have always wondered why pregnant women walked funny, got up from a sitting position funny, and scratched their stomach all the time. Well, I now know first hand that they walk funny because there is a baby in their stomach. They get up from a sitting position funny because there is a baby in their stomach. And they scratch their stomach because that baby in their stomach is causing their skin to stretch and it itches! Who knew growing a baby caused such things! I am also having some serious tailbone issues. I would not wish this on anyone! If I sit too long my tailbone feels as though it has been broken, if I stand too long my feet hurt….its a loose loose situation! The doctor says the tail bone thing should go away…a few months after she is born…
Looking Forward To: We are getting the furniture today!! Although I hate to have to go back to work I love to see the fall season coming!! Fall is my favorite time of the year…hence, why I chose a fall wedding. I love everything about fall…the weather, football, the decorations, and all the fall festivals. Just to be sure I get my house decorated for fall before Reese gets here I will be putting out all of my fall stuff the weekend of Labor Day. I know it’s a little early for most of you but that is also my birthday weekend and I consider it my gift to myself. I am already thinking about all of the pictures I am going to make of Reese with pumpkins, hay bails etc! I am also excited about seeing some really good friends at our shower this weekend.
Milestones: At 31 weeks Reese is heading into a growth spurt. She will accumulate lots of fat under the skin for the next 9 weeks.


As for the gestational diabetes test: I should get Adam to write this part of the post just so you can get the full effect…I was right on time to the doctors office (8:00 a.m.) which in my book right on time means being late. But anyway, I felt no need to get there early. Adam dropped me off at the door because I had not had breakfast and I get to feeling really funny when I do not eat on my normal schedule (Breakfast- as soon as my feet hit the floor; Lunch-promptly at 11:00; Dinner-no later than 5:00- yes, my feeding schedule would remind you of an elderly person in the nursing home, but Big Momma is serious about eating…and it has nothing to do with expecting a child- I have always been this way.) Anyway, the nurse sat me down immediately and tried to take my blood…I am talking my whole body wasn’t in the door and she is tying that band around my arm.
“ Do you mind if I lay down somewhere for you to take my blood? I get really light headed when having my blood taken.”

“Are we going to have to lay you down every time we do this today? Because the office across the hall is closed today and I don’t have anywhere you can lay.”

So I was forced to sit in that chair with the half table thing in front of me. It didn’t take me long to realize I had been lied to…Oh, they would be taking my blood once an hour for three hours all right…plus two more times that were never mentioned! I walked into the waiting room to find Adam since I had left him to park the car…

Upon seeing the tape across my arm…

“Have they already tooken your blood?” (no that is not a typo- he said “tooken”- apparently he was so shocked that I had let them take my blood without having a melt down his speech had been temporarily impaired.)

“Yes, Adam and I have already drank that awful drink too.”

“You are growing up before my very eyes! I am buying you a prize for this.”

The nurse wrote on a piece of paper the exact time I should step back into that terrible room, sit in that horrendous chair, and have my blood “tooken”… 8:35, 9:05, 10:05, and 11:05…those are all in addition to having it “tooken” the moment I walked in. Adam was in utter shock each time I went back, had my blood “tooken” and came back out without him holding my hand, and without a melt down. I have not idea what force came over me. It can be described as nothing less that a miracle from the Lord. Now granted I still feel as though the entire day was a waste of time and totally unnecessary… but I will admit I was a big girl. I mean really this is huge for me…I had by blood “tooken” 5 times in one 24 hour period without being emotionally scared for days thereafter… maybe I can bring a baby into this world…we’ll see.

Each time I came back into the waiting room to see my husband so proud (and shocked) I was told, “you are getting a prize when we leave”. So I got to eat Olive Garden for lunch (he knows my weakness and it is eating out)….and…. I got an iphone!!! YAY! Technically I was in desperate need of a new cell phone and the whole “you were a big girl, I am so proud of you” thing really had nothing to do with it, but Adam tried to act like it did.

So, I got the results on Monday and I passed the test! See having my blood "tooken" all those times was unnecessary!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that you are already 31 weeks! Reese is going to be here before we know it! Can't wait to see you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I am laughing so hard at this post!! I am hearing Adam say "tooken" in my head at this very moment! Look at you, growing up and acting so mature!!:) I am very proud. Yay for baby furniture & yay for seeing Aunt Steph this weekend!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete