Friday, July 16, 2010

SOLD!

This is such a bittersweet post. Three years ago we bought our first home. It was built in the 60’s and in desperate need of some updating. So we spent several months refinishing the hardwood floors, putting up sheetrock, painting, and since I married the cabinet man we got new cabinets throughout the house. Many, many funny stories happened at this little green house. One of my faovirte was our first Halloween I had big plans for handing out candy since the house is right in town. However, the kiddies trick-or-treated a day earlier than I expected and I didn't have any candy. So I ran to the store which was sold out of candy and I was forced to buy Little Debbie cakes. Well word spread fast that the Robertson's were handing out zebra cakes and oatmeal pies and we had tons of visitors. It had just gotten dark when a Trail Blazer came to a stop in the road. Small children started getting out coming for their Little Debbie's when Adam noticed a stray dog coming into yard. He clapped his hands and yelled, "get outta here, get outta here." With little legs still hanging out of the Trail Blazer the mother gased it and drove off in a hurry. We assume they thought Adam was yelling at them. Trail Blazer, whoever you may be, we were not yelling at you! There is also a very funny story about a political candidate relieving himself in our front yard when he thought we weren't home...but I won't go into details about that eventful evening. But most importantly we came home from our honeymoon to this house, brought our first born (Dixie) home to this house where, on my hands and knees, I buried an invisible fence, and made the adjustment into married life at this house. A little over a year ago we decided to move and put the house up for sale. We bought another house, took a leap of faith, and lived on a prayer that someone would like the house as much as we did and buy it. After a year and half someone finally came along and made us an offer. Selling a house rates right up there with having your blood taken on the fun scale, and it would be just fine with me if we never partake in this activiy again! I took a walk through the house one last time last night and we closed on the house today. Green as it may be I will always love this little house that was filled with so many memories that we will not soon forget!



3 comments:

  1. I bet with one guess I could name that political candidate!!! You're going to make so many new memories with Reese in the house you're in now, but I understand how bittersweet it is to leave the house you started your life together in. Our little rental house in Demopolis will always hold a special place in my heart (wood paneling and all)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I loved this house, but so glad you finally sold it. Oh the things you get to do..."when we sell our house!" :) And ya know, its too close to the city lights to raise a child! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, sold the house, got long distance and caller id added to our home line and got an iphone all in 1 day! "When we sell our house" finally came true and we cashed in:) Now if only the internet were available out here! And no way could we raise our kids under those city lights- our families would have disowned us.

    ReplyDelete