Friday, October 29, 2010

Firsts'

With your first baby everything that happens is a first. Our first night at home, first diaper change, first trip to Wal-Mart, first time to be spit up on, first time projectile poop shot out onto my hand (and Lord knows it has happened multiple times since then), first time she smiled… These are all huge moments in the eyes of a new mommy. Adam and I are running for the camera at every new face she makes! Last Friday night we gave Reese her first bottle. And yes, I took a picture.

I don’t want to bore you with too many breastfeeding details, BUT it is demanding! I am at her every beck and call 24/7. I am not complaining and I wouldn’t have it any other way, but let me tell you, breastfeeding is
W-O-R-K! When the hospital personnel are telling you how “breast is best” and “it is a great bonding experience” they don’t mention that you can possibly be feeding 20 out 24 hours a day! But really I am not complaining. It has been a great experience and I am so glad I chose to breastfeed. However, breastfeeding makes things like going out to eat and going to church near impossible in my opinion. For example…going out to eat. I just know as soon as my food is put in front of me she is going to demand to be fed. And yes, she demands to be fed! And for the record, she knows when I am going to eat, or take a shower, or dry my hair…because that is when she screams uncontrollably and demands milk. So then I have to go to the car and feed her. Now this might not seem like a big deal to you, but most of the time I am starving! Currently I would rather have a root canal than walk away from my food! But can I please take this time to publicly thank Steve Jobs for creating the iphone for without it I would have been bored to death on many occasions sitting in the car feeding her. I use that time to catch up on people’s blogs and the ever entertaining world of facebook. My dad says that he remembers growing up the women at church would breastfeed sitting right there on the pew! Yeah, well I think this is a prime example as to how much things have changed! I can only imagine sitting at First Baptist Church of Ashland and partaking in such activities. We would be asked to move our membership! All of this being said you would think that I would be excited to introduce Reese to Mr. Bottle. And I was excited until I saw Adam feeding her. I felt like I had been fired from my job and he was the new hire. I guess since I am pumping every 2 hours that I haven’t actually been fired. More like being demoted from full time to part time work. So anyway, since last Friday night she is getting pumped milk from a bottle and, for the most part, it has made life easier.

3 comments:

  1. You're still stuck sitting somewhere though huh?!? You'll get the hang of pumping really quickly and it will be a snap. I am very proud of you by the way. I know the burden//priviledge that you speak of very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember in high school, you use to roll your eyes everytime your mom got that camera out. How funny is it that your the one with the camera now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breastfeeding is hard work! I understand how you feel and I hope you have been able to get some releif. I loved this post because it reminded me of some of my boys' "firsts". These moments are so priceless. Reese is beautiful! I'm so happy for you and Adam!

    ReplyDelete