Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Here's to wishing every week was Spring Break

Did y'all know last week was my spring break? Since I am still talking about it 5 days later I clearly can't get over it. Me and the girl, we had a blast. When I was home with her on maternity leave she used me for nothing more than nourishment. But last week was different. She has changed so much and is so interested in everything. I cannot tell you how sad I was when Sunday rolled around and I knew it was all over. (I sense some of you 12 month out of the year workers wanting to reach through the computer screen and slap me for complaining after having a week off. I give you full permission.)

You want to know what we did all week? No? Well let me tell you anyway. We landscaped. And then we landscaped. And then because we couldn't get enough we landscaped some more. I had to be reminded throughout the weeks that it was a marathon not a sprint. You will be fascinated to know that I spent 7 of my 9 day vacation in the yard. I hesitate to continue talking it up because you might expect greater results than were actually achieved. I'll just say this- a bomb could have gone off in our front yard and it would have been an improvement. I plan to post a picture when I remember to take one.

Saturday 2 major tasks were marked off the list: staining the porch and hanging the swing. Mainly the swing took precedent because Big Momma needed somewhere to sit while holding the princess and watching hubby work. (Oh, I'm kidding. I dug at least 2 holes so don't go thinking hubby gets credit for all of this)

On Sunday after church Adam decided to finish staining the porch before we had our pictures made. And thus a bad idea was born. Stain splotched skin/fingernails and up close and personals aren't friends.
Monday we loaded up, took out a second mortgage on our house, and proceeded to invest in shrubbery that will inevitably meet its demise at the paws of Dixie and Autie. That night we left Reese with MeeMaw and PeePaw went to a movie and out to eat. We kept conversation about her to a minimum. I feel certain her name was mentioned no more than thirty-two times while we were gone.

A-master is a quiet and reserved man except where projects are concerned. He becomes a beast barking orders at me. While he walked around talking cabinet business with a customer on the phone (yeah, sure) me and the shovel dug a hole for a shrub. When he got off the phone he told me that "Ray Charles could see that hole isn't in line with the others." I told him he better show some respect for the woman who has been his constant landscaping companion during my SPRING BREAK!
Without boring you to tears let me sum the week up- Wednesday through Saturday we dug no less than 24 holes for plants, put out pine straw and landscape lights, made a second trip to the nursery, and unfortunately A-master received a sun burn of epic proportions.

But I'll tell you, Reese hung in there with the best of em'. She took no more than a 15 minute nap everyday. And would wake up fresh as a daisy.

All in all- we completed everything on our list except the concrete sidewalk. It appears that concrete people are recession proof. We have contacted 3 different people that claimed that they would come give us an estimate. Three weeks later still no concrete estimate.
We went out to eat with a couple of our friends on Thursday night and accidentally ran across a petting zoo of sorts in Talladega. Reese was pretty impressed with the tigers, camel, monkeys etc. I sense a trip to the zoo in our future.

We were notified that camel rides were taking place at 3:00 on Friday. Yeah, we'll pass, but thanks.

(Please notice the red sign above the tigers cage...CAUTION BIG CAT SPRAYS...Maybe its because we don't get out much, but we did not know that. And at that moment we all were wondering which end it sprays from????? You know what? I'd rather not know.)

Yep, thats a goat and a calf. Exotic animals I tell ya.

2 comments:

  1. What a wide array of animals!!!! Haha. And I truly busted out laughing at the Ray Charles bit. You guys are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell A-master to calm down. The bush probably won't be there for long anyway so it doesn't matter where the hole is!

    ReplyDelete