Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother Knows Best

I have been told that there will be a very special (interesting) post here at The Simple Life on Sunday aka my first Mother's Day. So...in light of that announcement I shall post my Mothers Day thoughts today. I feel comfortable giving this definition of Mothers Day: the day that mothers far and wide are showered with love for 5 miuntes before they return to cooking, cleaning, and making sure everyone has everything they need in life.




When I think back to my childhood I can say without reservation that I deserved more whippings than I ever got. God bless my momma. I was a quirky child. There were countless fights at our house over the seams in my socks, underwear, and t-shirts bothering me. After that fight was resolved another would ensue because (Lord forbid) there was a hump in my ponytail. (I grew up in the age when smooth ponytails ruled the fashion world. Oh how my momma wishes the messy ponytails girls like today would have been in style in the 90s.) Somewhere between all that I managed to have 3 major accidents that lead us to the ER where I received countless stitches in my chin, forehead, and lip. (Under today's standards DHR would have been called in to investigate.) One was so bad my sister sat in the back seat and declared, "she's going to die!" as we rushed to the hospital while momma held a handkerchief on my head as it gushed blood. And woe unto the nights that she would make me sleep in sponge rollers in order to achieve the appropriate level of kinky curls for a beauty pageant. I also feel it is worth mentioning that BFF Steph and I caused her to have more than one gray hair after we secured our drivers license, but I won't elaborate on any of those stories.


Now that I have a babe of my own I acknowledge that I should have been easier on my momma. I should not have worried so much about that hump in my ponytail, I should have slept in those sponge rollers without complaint, and BFF Steph and I shouldn't have caused our mommas so much stress throughout our teen years. Because if there is one thing I know for sure it's that everything she did it was for my own good.


Our pastor asked us to tell him what we want for and from our own kids, so I asked Adam what he wanted for Reese- "happiness." (Really? Who would have guessed?) Maybe I went a little too deep, but I want for her to give her life to Christ at a young age and seek to fulfill his will in her life. I pray for her to have a sweet spirit and a gentle heart. I want for her to know that true beauty comes from within. I want her to find a husband as good as her momma found. And I want her to experience the love for her own baby that I feel for her (year, and years, and years, and years from now). From her I want: her to be respectful and considerate of others.....and on a completely selfish note.....I don't ever want for her to move too far away from her momma and daddy. Really is all that too much to ask? I've got dark circles under my eyes from being up with her all night that say no. No, it's not to much to ask.


And because her momma's love knows no bounds I will also work tirelessly on Reese's ponytail if need be, I will never make her wear a shirt with an "itchy" seam, and I will gladly accept a gray hair or two from her and her BFF one day all because that's what mommas do.


So in honor of Mothers Day I would like to thank my momma for EVERYTHING she has done for me! I love you and I hope I am half the mother to Reese that you have been to me!





2 comments:

  1. Sweet post . . . I loved reading the things you want for Reese. I hope you have a great Mother's Day, Elena!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elena for all the sweet things you said. I would do it all over again and probably wouldn't change a thing. I so enjoyed you growing up, but I didn't expect it to be so fast. I love you with all my heart and I hope you enjoy Reese as much as I loved rearing you. You are not only my daughter, you are my best friend. As I have always said, I would rather rear two girls for one boy any day.

    ReplyDelete