Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My first Mother's Day in review

I would love to have had a phenomenal picture of the 3 of us on my first Mother's Day, but it didn't go as planned. This is the best I got. It leaves a lot to be desired seeing as our sweet little girl, the reason for the season, isn't even looking, but we'll talk more about that in a moment.







Friday night started out like all good weekends do. Eating out. We went out to eat for Adams birthday which is officially tomorrow. His favorite place to eat is Fuji so that's where we always go. Reese was very impressed by all the meal preparation that took place right before her very eyes.





See the glow on her face....that was when they fired up the grill.






Lets back up to Thursday night/Friday morning. She woke up in her bed and cried at 10:30 PM. Naturally we put her in our bed so we could all get some sleep. Throughout the night I almost fell off the bed 2 times and my neck was hurting so bad when I woke up Friday morning from the angle in which I had slept. So I declared out loud at 5:15 AM that this had to end and she was going to her own room Friday night no matter the cost. A direct quote from Adam (insert sarcasm), "Yeah, sure."

So when we got home from our birthday dinner date Friday night it was past her bedtime so we went to her room where she had a bottle and fell asleep in my arms. I laid her down (asleep). As soon as her head hit the bed she started crying. When I walked away from the crib she went hysterical. I closed the door and started putting up the groceries and anything else I could do to distract me from all the pitiful cries. 25 minutes later it got quiet so we turned on the monitor and she had finally given up the fight. At 11:30 and 2:30 she woke up crying, but went back to sleep within a few minutes. And slept to the record breaking hour of 8:30 AM! (During the 25 minutes she cried Adam would say things like "Bless her heart. She hasn't done anything wrong." and "She was so good at supper and now she doesn't know what she did wrong".... it went on and on.)


Saturday at nap time I laid her down and she cried for about 5 minutes and then slept for and hour and a half! Saturday night she cried for less than 5 minutes and then we had to wake her up Sunday morning at 7:45. Happy Mother's Day to me:)


Sunday night I laid her down and she never cried. When I left Monday morning she was still blissfully dreaming. If I had known that the whole Cry It Out method was going to be so easy I might not have been so hesitant to do it. However, I still think that it is completely against nature to let your baby cry for an extended period of time. I do not fault anyone who lets their baby sleep in the bed with them. But it's also against nature for a grown woman to almost fall off of the bed and have a crick in her neck all because her baby took up the whole bed. I just hope it last and she doesn't have permanent scars from us not coming to her every whimper.





Saturday night we went to my Nanny's to celebrate Mother's Day.




Brandon had been at the ball field all day playing, but he couldn't get enough. He summoned Adam to come out and play.



When Brandon and Mason were told to move away from the cars before they hit one with the ball Brandon said, "I already did. That one" and pointed to the car he had already hit with the ball. HAHA!












Sunday morning Adam and Reese brought me orange juice in bed along with my Mother's Day gift. A gift certificate for a spray tan (which will be used prior to our beach trip so that no one has to put on their sunglasses when they look at me.) and James Dobson's book Bringing Up Girls. I started reading some of it Sunday night and I am scared already. I think the first thing that we are going to do is get rid of our TV. Other than Wheel of Fortune there is no quality programming these days.


We tried to get a few pictures before church...but have you ever noticed how much worse you look early in the morning? Like you just woke up and your eyes are still puffy?? No? Just us? Forget I mentioned it.



The girl loves jewelry of all assortments and sizes.



See?? Puffy.


After church we went down to D.D. and Big Daddy's...



Where we again attempted a family picture....Reese wouldn't look at the camera because she was starring at the dogs...



...and then when Reese looked at the camera Adam was starring at the dogs....





...and then Adam was laughing because he and Reese get so easily distracted....



We ended the evening with Reese's first ride on a 4-wheeler.




Here's to hoping that all my Mother's Day's are as good as the first!

2 comments:

  1. So glad your first Mother's Day was good!!
    I have loved the "lay-her-down-she'll-go-to-sleep" method!!! Ellie started fighting us a while back (like when she was three months old) when we tried to rock her to sleep. So, we lay her down with her little elephant lovey and turn on her mobile. Most nights she doesn't even cry but on the nights that she does, it's for maybe 5 minutes! And she does seem to sleep alot better on the nights that she puts herself to sleep than when she falls asleep and then we put her in there. Anyways, all of this to say congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great Mother's Day!
    You had me laughing out loud with the father/daughter distractions! :) And I have to say that I am impressed that you let baby girl "cry it out". And the "mommy of the year" award goes to..... :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete