Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dave Ramsey would be proud

I would like to thank all of you that advised me on the splinter issue. This weekend we will be going to the pool to soak the toe. If that method doesn't work we will move on to other recommendations. I'll keep you posted.

There is something that has been going on in our personal life that I have been reluctant to discuss. It has been on my heart to share it with y'all, but I kept putting it off out of fear. Fear that y'all will once and for all know just how crazy I am. Fear that y'all will try to have me committed. Fear that I will forever bear the cross of being labeled with OCD. And fear that y'all will wonder why my sweet A-master ever wanted to marry me.

Now before I even type it out for the whole world to see let me go ahead and say that I am not trying to push my lifestyle on anyone. You ladies are free to run your kitchen in any way that you see fit. However, I just want y'all to know the great thing know as a monthly meal planner that has happened at our house.

Here's the situation. As my parents will be quick to tell you I've never been one to love living on a budget. When we got married the one thing that shocked me the most was the grocery bill every month. I consider the grocery bill anything that is purchased at Wal Mart. Or The Wal Mart if you want to really sound southern. Things such as shampoo, soap... I laughed in his face when Adam said he thought that roughly $50 a month should cover all of our needs. So, as I have mentioned, we did a little Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University in our Sunday School class. When we started adding up what we spent in groceries and eating out every month I had to sit down to keep from blacking out.

Let me go ahead right here and confess my love of eating out. I would eat out 3 meals a day if I could. It's not so much that I don't want to cook, but something about handling raw poultry and or meat products takes away from the dinning experience. Do you agree?

So anyway I decided that for the month of August we would follow a meal plan that I had made out. The main point was to go to The Wal Mart one time for the whole month. We agreed to only go to the grocery store to pick up bread or milk throughout the month. We dedicated ourselves to try it out for one month and see the difference in our grocery bill. We also agree to cut back on eating out. Adam wanted to only allow going out to eat 1 time. But I asked him why he wanted to put us in marital counseling over our grocery bill?

Here is the monthly meal plan. I made a categorized grocery list in order to buy everything that was needed for each meal. (Which by the way reminded me so much of my childhood. My momma went grocery shopping once a month. And hear me when I say that that buggy was rounded off with food.) Here are a few things on the menu: chicken spaghetti, hamburgers, tacos, pizza, lasagna, breakfast for dinner, and sandwiches. Clearly we are delicate eaters.



At the beginning of the 4th week the menu starts over. As you might (or might not) have noticed I didn't plan meals on the weekends. That's because I had high hopes of going to eat mexican, fried chicken salads, and Firehouse subs. So far none of the sort has occurred. (But I do have a birthday coming up and I have my heart set on going somewhere fancy like Arbys.)

So far we have stuck to the plan. If we don't wants what's on the menu for the night we will swap it with another night.

And you know what? I love it. It gives my brain a break throughout the day. I look at the menu in the morning and then I don't have beg Adam to tell me what he wants me to cook. It has simplified my life immeasurably. Ido understand that this is a little too predictable/boring for some of you and I don't want to be pushy, but if any of you decide to try it (or if you already implement this method) let me know what y'all eat. I am going to need to add a little variation to the plan or I'll be tempted to stop by Subway on my way home.

And I'll leave you with this picture. It takes a true southern lady to eat watermelon with this kind of grace.

P.S. I cheated the meal plan system and stopped by the Pig today and got this watermelon. Don't hold it aganist me.

6 comments:

  1. I am impressed. It is much easier when you know what you are cooking. I have planned out meals for the week before but not the month. I may try it.
    It looks like Reese loves watermelon like her Momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't plan out meals for the month...because I, too, am trying to live frugally, which doesn't allow me to build a new house with 4,564 cabinets (or gut the house we live in and start over, ha!)...basically we have NO storage space. But...I do plan a menu each week and it is SO helpful...money and sanity wise! If we ever get more storage space I am definitely going to try the monthly meal plan! We should all get into this and blog our menus each week/month...new ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to Go! We do a 2 week meal planner and go to "The" Wal-mart every 2 weeks and fill in with the Pig for milk and stuff. What made me laugh so hard, was the fact that out menus look exactly alike! Pizza, tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers and breakfast for supper! Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how many things I see you doing that reminds me of your mother. You will never forget Foodworld the first of the month, two grocery buggies and your mom's meal plan. It works believe me. I do hope you'll will share meal menus with everyone so I can see.
    I love the little girl eating watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoop, whoop, Ms.Adams! I have got to start doing some planning. Glad it went so well.
    That picture of Reese eating watermelon is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna try it...made one this morning! Going to the WalMart today!! Love, love, love the pics of Reese!!

    ReplyDelete