Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A thorn in my side

Well actually it's a splinter in Reese's big toe and another one in her heel. If any of you have suggestions as to how to remove splinters from a baby's foot please leave specific directions in the comments.

P.S. Please refrain from comments such as, "my cousins best friends little girl has a splinter in her foot and they didn't get it out and it set up an infection and her toe fell off." I can go to places of fear right by myself. Thank you very much.

I can't determine exactly where the splinter came from, but it's highly likely that it came from MeeMaw and PeePaw's porch. Or I heard a rumor that she ate a huge handful of dirt at daycare on Tuesday which leads me to believe that she was outside which sets up the potential scenario of getting the splinter. I'll never know, and really, it doesn't matter. What matters is that it must come out. It is slightly reder (is "reder" a word? I am leaning toward no. ) than the rest of her toe. And I don't really know why that matters but Dr. A-master pointed that out as if it was of importance. Therefore, if you've been down this road with your baby, or anybody else baby it is imperative that I hear from you.

On another, less dramatic note, school is 3 days in and I must give a report. Cutting out a 2 hour commute everyday is nothing less than LIFE CHANGING! If you've ever driven an hour one way to work then you know what I mean. It's almost like I don't go to work at all. Except I do. Does that make sense? Probably not. Just know that I am loving it. (It is so worth the risk of not having a job next year. Remind me I said that in May.) On the other hand (no pun intended) my fingertips are so sore from opening lockers all day. You might not think it but pulling up on the handles does a number to your digits. It concerns me for the future of our country that these kids don't know which way right is when I am explaining how to work the combination. But then again it might or might not have been sometime during the 8th grade before I was confident which was right was.

6 comments:

  1. Sterilized needle, tweezers, one of you hold her down while the other puts her foot in a sort of head lock (I guess that would be leg lock). Then stuff a ton of cotton in your ears so you don't have to hear her scream. Keep in mind the screaming is because you are holding her down not because you pulling the splinter out. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww...Luke had two splinters in his foot back in May! Luckily they were spotted during church, and our preacher's wife and Jane McDonald (both RNs) came to my rescue! Angela held him tight, while Jane broke the skin and pried out the splinters using nail clippers. He never even cried...I definitely would have been hysterical if I'd had to do it myself at home! However, he has had another one since then (I definitely think it's the porch:) and I did fish it out with a safety pin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle said soak her foot in water until it wrinkles up. The splinter should start to push out of the skin. Then pull them out. My mom would probably agree with the two comments above though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had several splinters around our house too. We usually use the needle and tweezer approach. The soaking idea LaRae mentioned sounds like something I will try in the future too . . . less painful. It does usually take both of us because we do have to hold them still (which isn't easy). I should also tell you that I caught Ben (on more than one occasion) using his pocket knife!! Not steraliized . . . and who knows where all it's been. I almost had a heart attack . . . to him it was no big deal, but for me . . . those redneck tactics don't fly with my babies :) So my advice would be just don't let Adam handle it on his own :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a horrible splinter story but I was alot older.... i let mine stay in my heel and did not tell anyone until I could not walk on it. It was " dug" out of my foot by my Grandmother as I screamed and cried.
    However, her method was to let it soak and then she pushed adn dug it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, if you have a diabetic in your family, get a lancet* (the small needles that they use to prick their fingers). We keep a few just for splinters. The needle is much smaller than a safety pin or straight pin. Then, do what your first commenter said...stop your ears up, hold her down, and dig it out. (that sounds real nice doesn't it???) I'm sorry you have to do it! If it helps ANY...I've been there!

    *a box of lancets is under $5 and I would highly recommend a whole box because they will last forever, and there are no telling how many splinters you'll have to dig out!

    ReplyDelete