Thursday, August 4, 2011

If there's ever a next time

In the unlikely event that we ever add to our family I would like to be able to look back at this and remind myself of a few things:

It isn't necessary to have a come apart after rocking her for an hour, finally getting her to sleep, laying her down, and hearing a massive explosion in her diaper. She'll go back to sleep. Eventually.


Don't watch the scale for 9 months. It isn't worth it. Instead go eat a brownie. It's a better use of time.


Don't panic when delivery is 2 weeks away and there is no coming home outfit.

Don't feel guilty for sitting and holding her (yes, I am referring to our potential next child as a girl because I feel destined to raise a house full of them. Which I am sure will give my momma a great deal of pleasure to see me pay for my raisin') all day everyday during maternity leave.


Don't freak out when unexpected visitors stop by and the house isn't perfectly clean.

Expect unexpected visitors.

Sleep with a night light on just to see her face and don't be ashamed to admit it. Even after 3 months and the bulb blew and had to be replaced.

Those up-all-night nights are fleeting (no matter what that voice in your head tells you at 3 a.m.).

Even if it means no pain medication do not let the same guy administer the epidural. That is an experience I will never forget no matter how much time passes.

When a tooth seems to be coming through and she also has symptoms of a cold don't go to the doctor. They won't do anything for you. And it could result in a tramatic leg experience.

Don't panic if she puts a dead worm in her mouth.

Once the cry it out method is in action don't feel too bad about her crying for an extended time because it's the best thing for everybody.

I think the record shows how much I love and adore our girl. And although labor an delivery was an amazing experience I don't plan on doing it with any frequency. But I do feel obligated to give her a sibling (one day a long time from now). That feeling of obligation might or might not be attributed to BFF Steph pressuring me to have a big family.


These are a couple of random pictures I had on my phone that I wanted to share.

After a long day at the pool all she had to show for it was pruned piggies.



Since she became mobile she a busy little girl. Lately if she gets quiet she is usally resting her head on the floor. This is a good sign that a nap is in the near future.


Tomorrow is our last fun filled day of summer nothingness. Sigh. It has been SO much fun. And although I am thankful to have a job I am going to miss her so much next week! I am going to let myself believe that she is going to miss me too.

4 comments:

  1. Call me and we will CRY together. :)
    You know she will miss you! She loves her momma, that was very obvious Friday night. I am trying to convince myself that going all day long without seeing my "doodle bug" will give me something to look forward to all day... we will see. I am going to miss her so so much! I get teary eyed just thinking about it. The summer has gone by way too fast! But we are blessed as teachers to have summers off with our babies.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with ALL of your tips. Esp. #2 about the brownie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you will cut hours of commute from your day! More time in the afternoon to sit and stare at her when you're sad from not being with her all day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pruned piggies are so cute! I loved reading your list of things to remember . . . so many of them hit home for me!

    ReplyDelete