Saturday, September 3, 2011

Football Has Arrived!

There's something I want to blog about, but the last thing I want is for this blog to be controversial. I realize I am treading on dangerous water here and I could lose a blog follower or two over this so I am going to watch how I word this.

We took Reese to her first high school football game last night. We wanted it to be a commemorative trip so we started out by meeting our friends Jared, Elizabeth, and Sarah at Pizza Shack. Because lets all admit that the Pizza Shack has been a constant in the life of all Clay Countians. When everything around us is changing, including the combining of our schools, Pizza Shack hasn't so much as changed the paint on the wall in, I know, 26 years.




Okay, so let me admit that I am an adult and I have moved WAY past the whole Lineville/Ashland rival thing. Adam played football at Ashland (and won the state championship his senior year)(he would be upset if I didn't include that historical fact) so I have heard my fair share of stories about the blue and white. Out of respect for her daddy and his alma mater I put her in a blue and white dress for the game. With all of that being said- no daughter of mine was going to wear strickly blue and white. So we added a little Auburn flare with an orange hair bow.

Again, let me be clear when I say that since graduating in 2003 I have held no hostility toward the adversary. But old habits die hard.

When we pulled up to the school I made the comment, "You know, no matter how old I get when I come here on Friday nights I feel a little hostility" (see, right there some of you couldn't get your mouse to the X quick enough and swore to never step foot in this blog again. Especially you Ashland people we go to church with.) To which Adam replied, "A lesser man would slap you for that."

Then, THEN, after the game (in which I might have actually cheered once or twice) we were talking about the last Clay Bowl and Adam had the nerve to say..."We're all going to wear our championship rings. Ya'll can wear one of your watches to let us know what time the game starts". My Lineville friends are looking at the screen right now saying, "oh no he didn't." Yes, sister he did. You know what I think? A lesser woman would have filed for divorce and took him for all he's worth right there in the Clay County High School parking lot. But I'm beyond all the Lineville/Ashland stuff remember?

Either way Reese had a great time at the game. She sat in my lap and hardly moved during the game.


Right now though I have much more pressing issues on my mind. Auburn. My heart hurts and a few years have been shaved off my life after that display of athletic ability today. So sad. But my heart mended slightly when I read in Southern Living that Auburn was named one of the best college towns. If you've ever been there then you can't argue with that title. I'm glad we got that title because it'll be the ONLY one we get this year.





4 comments:

  1. The Pizza Shack is definitely timeless! We still have to stop in as often as we can. Your conversation with Adam sounds so similar to many that Ben and I've had over the years about Ashland and Lineville. Ben laughed when I told him Adam's watch comment. I have learned to just let Ben talk. I mean, if they have to continue to live in the past . . . we will let them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Elena will delete this post but I am going to say it anyway. Putting Reese in blue and white taking her to a Ashland football game will never floor me as much Elena coming downstairs with a PANTHER tshirt on. Blew my mind and took my breath. A Lineville cheerleader with a panther t shirt. I knew then Adam Robertson would be apart of our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good wife!!! I wasn't even a born and bred Lineville girl but I learned it and I have a little hostility just thinking about Ashland!!! :) You are a good wife! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Ok, Elena: I still love you! I've told myself many a times that I've moved beyond the Ashland/Lineville rivalry.... but, having that said, I still cringed when I found out that JB's alma mater's mascot was an Aggie, too and found it very hard to cheer "Go Aggies" at their football games!! I know it's silly, but I didn't realize that years of being taught to "hate" Aggies (or Panthers) takes a while to out grow. Haha

    ReplyDelete