Sunday, January 9, 2011

Clark, is your house on fire? No, really is your house on fire?

Adam insisted that I use that title. You know, as a follow up to the Christmas lights story. Actually this has nothing at all to do with Christmas light, but it does have something to do with fire. Christmas night we came home from a day filled with snow, food, and apple fritters (as previous mentioned). Clearly I can’t get over how delicious they were. Anyway, I peeked out of the bedroom window to see if I would see our sweet four legged babies playing in the snow, but instead I saw darkness.

There has been much controversy concerning where our dogs sleep at night. They originally resided on the front porch which is the only place they would have shelter when it rains. However, this has led to many dog spanking seeing as how they chew up everything I try to put on the front porch- exhibit one: rocking chairs.








So we then moved them to the back porch, but they got wet when it rained- mainly because their Dogloo came from a yard sale costing us $25 and it has a hole in the back that Adam patched with nothing less than Duck tape. Because that’s what all holes should be covered with. We are classy like that.

So then the decision was made to put their Dogloo in Adam’s “barn”- which really isn’t a barn since it is the size of our bathroom. It is more of a tool shelter. And, currently, a dog shelter as well. So this is how the story went…

On my way to soak in the tub I peered out the bedroom window to be sure their heat lamp was on. When I didn’t see the glow of the light I ask Adam to go check on them. Because what kind of people let their dogs sleep out in the elements without the luxury of a heat lamp. I proceeded to take a nice hot bath and try to melt away the pounds of the apple fritters I had eaten that day. When I got out of the tub and went into the kitchen I could smell smoke. I was then informed that the closer to the “barn” Adam had gotten the more smoke he could smell. This didn’t seem to concern him because he somehow made himself believe that the smoke was from a neighbor’s chimney, and not from the place that our dogs (and more importantly his tools) reside. In all the excitement of a white Christmas and the rope that Santa had brought Dixie and Autie had knocked the heat lamp over, caught their mattress (in the form of hay) on fire, and burnt a hole in the floor. The Dogloo also suffered smoke damage.







And here the residents are assessing the damage.


And once the smoke cleared and daylight came we found out the the heat lamp could not be salvaged...


...so now WE are the kind of people who let their dogs sleep out in the elements without the luxury of a heat lamp.

2 comments:

  1. I bet those poor pups were scared to death that their luxury hotel was on fire! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we love his show! We watch everything on HGTV and DIY! And then we watch it all again on reruns:)

    ReplyDelete